What is SunSmart?
SunSmart is our free, flagship program which partners with primary schools, early childhood education and care (childcare, family day care and preschools) and out of school hours services across NSW to develop and implement a best-practice sun protection policy.
Our mission is to minimise ultraviolet (UV) radiation exposure from the sun to reduce the risk of developing skin cancer.
Why become SunSmart?
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Two out of three children in Australia will be diagnosed with skin cancer in later life. The good news is that skin cancer is highly preventable!
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation in childhood is a major risk factor for the development of skin cancer later in life. We all play a role in reducing harmful UV exposure, and a SunSmart membership can help schools and services to:
- reduce exposure to UV and skin cancer risk
- meet sun protection regulatory and duty of care requirements
- access current evidence-based information, resources, advice and support
- influence good sun protection behaviours through education
- benefit the whole school community including children, staff, parents and carers!
Participating in the SunSmart program is a great way to show everyone that your organisation is committed to sun protection. All SunSmart members receive:
- a member certificate and SunSmart metal sign to display
- a copy of the children’s book ‘A Simply Spectacular Hat’
- access to a range of free sun protection resources and teaching tools
- ongoing information, support and expert advice to assist the implementation of their policy
- opportunities to promote membership in the local media and SunSmart newsletters.
The SunSmart policy ensures schools and services are addressing 10 key areas of sun protection across the environment, behaviour and information.
How to become SunSmart?
Click on your school or service type to join or renew your SunSmart membership.