SunSmart is a free program that supports early childhood services to develop and implement a sun protection policy that minimises student and staff over-exposure to UV radiation, and reduces the risk of skin cancer.
Having a SunSmart policy ensures childcare centres are addressing the three key areas of sun protection:
- 1. Environment
- Scheduling outdoor activities outside of peak UV times
- Utilising shaded areas
- 2. Behaviour
- Wearing sun-safe hats
- Wearing sun-safe clothing
- Using at least SPF30+ broad spectrum water resistant sunscreen
- Wearing sunglasses
- Role modelling by childcare workers and staff
- 3. Information
- Teaching about sun protection
- Providing SunSmart information to the early childhood community
- Reviewing the sun protection policy every three years
In recent years there has been an encouraging move towards sun safety at childcare centres, with many programs joining the SunSmart Program. Is your childcare centre SunSmart?
SunSmart early childhood services receive free support, signage, posters and learning resources to help implement best-practice sun protection.
As a SunSmart centre, you can be confident you are implementing an approved Sun Protection Policy that meets several Quality Areas in the National Quality Framework (NQF). See how here!
You can become a SunSmart Early Childhood Centre in four easy steps!
- 1. Search for your centre and get sent your password to access your SunSmart account.
- 2. Seek approval from your Nominated Supervisor and Director.
- 3. Review your sun protection policy to ensure it meets our SunSmart recommendations, or you can choose to adopt the SunSmart policy we provide.
- 4. Commit to implementing your SunSmart policy and reviewing it every three years.
When childcare centres commit to join the SunSmart Program, they agree to renew their membership every three years. Is your SunSmart status up to date?